Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Chilled Strawberry Soup from 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian Resort

I must disclose that I don't remember ever eating the Strawberry Soup from the buffets at 1900 Park Fare, but when flipping through my Disney recipes I thought that it sounded interesting.  Some people might think it sounds weird... like my sweet fiance who didn't complain when he thought that the soup was what we were having for dinner... not dessert.  He also thought it was going to be warm... ewww.  He was very relieved to learn that it would be cold and sweet... and we would have something more substantial for our entree.

Another reason I decided to make this soup is that I bought a HUGE bag of frozen strawberries from Costco, with the best intention of making heathy smoothies for breakfast every day.  Well, that didn't happen.  So these strawberries had been taking up half of my freezer for a long time.  Time to use them up!

The recipe is so very easy.  I defrosted 2 1/2 pounds of frozen strawberries and placed them in a large bowl.  In the bowl I added 2 cups of heavy cream... this is not a light recipe  :)



Next, add in 1/4 cup sour cream...



... and a 1/3 cup plain yogurt (I used greek yogurt)



Then, 1 Tablespoon of sugar, if your strawberries need it. 



As you can see, this is super simple.  Just adding ingredients to one bowl.  Next, take a hand blender (or put all of this into a regular blender) and blend to a smooth consistency.  



Isn't it a pretty pink?





After chilling for an hour or so, I served it in bowls with a dollop of yogurt.  Those more talented than me might be able to dollop the yogurt in the form of a mickey head :)




So that's it!  My review of the soup is that it was good, but not great.  The creaminess was delicious, but it wasn't sweet enough for me (and I added extra sugar).  I think that it might have been better if I had used strawberries that were frozen in syrup and then used that syrup in the soup.  My Costco strawberries did not have any added sugar. 

This made such a  large vat of soup that I ended up making strawberry ice cream the next day... by using the soup as my ice cream base in my ice cream maker.  That turned out well, although even with more sugar added, just not sweet enough.

Nevertheless, this recipe was very simple and can be easily adapted for different tastes.  I bet it would still be good if someone wanted to make a lighter version with half and half and reduced fat sour cream and yogurt.  I am eager to try this soup at 1900 Park Fare the next time I visit WDW, and see if I came close to the original.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder how it would be if you added vanilla yogurt instead of plain?

    I may try this recipe! Strawberry season awaits...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would probably be good with vanilla yogurt! Lots of ways to personalize this recipe...

    ReplyDelete